Sunday, October 25, 2009

After two and a half year...

What I want to say is that , after two and a half years, technology improves.. :) ... nah no, I'm not that lame. I remembered clearly that when I first bought my O2 Xda Atom phone, which is also my first PDA phone, I said that this is the phone for me, there is no longer a need to change and substitute this phone with another newer phone. Simply because this is an all in 1 phone. Looking at the technology back then, this can be classified as one of the high end phones but occupies a middle level in the category PDAs.

Owing a PDA phone at that time and taking a stylus out and poke on the screen was my cup of tea back then. It was really cool to me, I like every single bit of this phone, although now I stil heart it, but not as much as before. For a gadget lover like me, I think that when we talk about not changing phones, we meant for the time being. Yes, a good phone will tend to attract my attention and prevent me from losing interest it in within a short period of time. I think I need to qualify myself, as long as technology doesnt stop improving,the tendency and urge to change phone is still there, its just a matter of time and duration.

Looking back too, this phone has all the functions that I want, ranging from a touch screen to having wifi connectivity and what more it runs on a Windows Mobile 5 platform. So its cool to think that you are bringing a windows mobile device in your pocket and can serve the internet as and when I like.


VS




Two and a half years down the road, as technology improves, of course the urge to change a better technology phone is there, what more this is the phone that most of the people in the world are longing for. Till now, more than 20 millions set had been sold worldwide and mind you, they have only 3 models since the first launching of the Iphone 2g. 3 models with minimal changes I could say compared to HTC and Window Mobile based mobile phones, and the market share of them is already that high.

What's the difference then between this two?
Both of it is still a phone, like hmm obviously, both has wifi connectivity, image viewer, video functions , camera.

The obvious and significant difference I think lies with the interface of this two different phones, the extremely user friendly interface of Iphone with just less that 5 buttons on the phone and it complements which each other pretty well!Second will be in terms of graphics. Thirdly, the quality of the camera. This I must say is a significant changes in the technology 2 years back and after.

Last time, when you talk about having a all in 1 pda phone . This actually meant that certain areas have to be compromise. It will not be prefect and will not be satisfied with all the functions it provides. Why then buy I bought and crave for the pda for so long ? Well, it was 1 of the best during that time, but now it is not longer applicable.

Principle is simple, its like if you have a plate of fried mee and you have no options, you will surely choose the fried mee instead of not eating it at all . Since now, there is a choice of eating fried mee and hmm perhaps, jogoya buffet. Of course, Jogoya buffet will prevail leaving the price of it aside. This principle fits in well with choosing a phone as well .. :) ..

The camera of the xda atom is really bad. In order for me to take a picture, it takes up to 7 seconds to take a short. Yea, imagine that. Now, with the iphone 3gs, within a second its all done. The megapixels of it may be the same, but the technology and lense used, it makes a vast difference.

In terms of wifi connectivity, the time taken to connect( xda atom ) is about 10 seconds, and for the iphone, as soon as you on the homescreen, the wifi will automatically connect. It may not seems to have that significant difference on paper, but when you start using it, you will start to realise it.

Iphone has something that xda atom did not have too. The sensors attached to the phone, this is the technology that all of the mobile companies are trying to copy right now especially HTC but Apple is still the champion in this market. Apple is the trend setter and all the mobile companies are striving hard to come up with their standards and hopefully gain back their market share.

With just a few finger gestures, the iphone can cater to your needs. Gone are the days when I need to use the stylus almost everytime when I'm using the phone. Fingers are all you need for an iphone and some buttonless motions, sometimes finger gestures need not come to play at all !

In terms of functionality, I would 100% agree that Iphone is still not the best phone, there are quite a lot of functions that are present in a Windows based mobile phone and not iphone.

But what makes iphone so popular?
Simply because it is the product of Apple Inc! There are truth in this statement, trust me. All the while their products are seen to be high end. It only takes some form of more advance technology to lure more customers and people wil just forget functions that they didnt provide in an Iphone . Their strategic planning is really superb.

As what Chiew Ee said, the type of phone that we take can really create a different impression of us by others and this is crucial for a future lawyer i guess? :)

No comments: